“Unearthing Racism in Canadian School Curriculum: Implications for Teacher Education and Practice”
The presenters will explore the importance of enhancing an educator’s critical understanding of race and racism, in order to effectively deliver an equitable and racism-free curriculum. How do you address racism in the classroom or school? How do you teach from an equitable and anti-racist framework?
Looking at the CRRF’s Foundations in Equity & Anti-Racism Course for Teachers, UQAM’s Intercultural Course for Teacher Candidates, Toronto public school’s Africentric school curriculum and UofT’s Intercultural Experiences we will discuss the implications for teaching and learning in Canadian schools today.
- Sandy Yep, CRRF Director Education & Training , ‘The Colour-blind Nature of Racism in Schools: Educating In-service Teachers’
- Dr. Nicole Carignan, UQAM, ‘Understanding Discrimination for Enhancing Intercultural Training of Teachers in Quebec’
- Dr. Carl E. James, York University, ‘The Teaching Applications of an Africentric Approach to Learning
- Dr. Candace Schlein, University of Toronto, ‘Intercultural Experiences and Dialogue within Canadian Schooling
Knowing Ourselves: Canadian History and Identity?
The concept of Canadian identity will be explored in the context Canadian history and multiculturalism as a policy and reality.
- Sandra Carnegie-Douglas, CRRF
- Rachad Antonius, UQAM
- Rinaldo Walcott, OISE
Learning from Our History: Historical injustices and Remedies
This workshop will explore the issue of historical injustices, their legacies and the implications for remedies. The presenters will approach the issue from different perspectives looking at Canadian history and the experiences of its diverse population.
- Eric Anderson, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
- Barrington Walker, Queens University
- Sharon Venne, Lawyer and Chief Negotiator for the Akaitcho Dene, Enoch, Alberta.
Media, Diversity and Race Relations
- Professor Jian Guan, Ryerson University
- Professor Minelle Mahtani, University of Toronto
- Ayman Al-Yassini, Canadian Race Relations Foundation (CRRF)
- Jeff Heinrich, The Montreal Gazette (invited)
For additional information on the conference including registration details, please visit the Association for Canadian Studies website